Week 35: Ciudad Real, La Mancha District

8:50 AM






Monday- not much for p day, we just played some volleyball. Then we went to find some less actives but didn't find anyone, but talked with some people on the way.

Tuesday- we had district meeting and then I had my exchange with elder Hanneman from alpine Utah in Puertollano. Puertollano is the smallest congregation in the mission with only 4 active members and a branch president who lives in Madrid, but comes down here on assignment from the church. It is by far the most unique place I've been in during my mission. It's a city basically built on a mountain. We taught some investigators and talked to lots of people in the street. Wow, the people here are strange though, I don't think I've ever had so many weird experiences in my mission. Elder Hanneman is a great worker though, he's almost done with his mission and he's still going harder than ever. Haha One of his quotes was "yeah... We've got a strange bunch here in Puertollano". And it's true. Tons of gypsies too.

Wednesday- continued my exchange and we taught some more lessons and stuff. It was pouring the whole time and we forgot our umbrellas, but you stay warm there because you're always going up enormous hills. Interesting exchange though... It went well. Then I arrived back in ciudad real and we had English classes and yea

Thursday- we went to The pueblo of Fernan Caballero to visit Nancy and Daniel. The problem kind of was, our bus left at 9:00 a.m. and didn't return until 6:30 p.m. so we were there for a really long time. First, we helped them with their crops and stuff, They basically grow everything themselves. We used a chainsaw to cut down two dead trees too. Then we ate lunch with tomato and lettuce that we picked from the ground so that was cool. Then We taught them the rest of the commandments and they said the are willing to obey all of them. Also talked about their baptism and they said they will be baptized, they just need to decide when and we made sure to let them know that they don't need to know everything to be baptized and they understood that, they really just said that it will be an enormous change in their lives and they want to feel comfortable with it. I know they Will, they just need continued support from the branch and us missionaries. We then returned that evening and tried to contact some futures and talk to some people and not much happened. But Daniel and Nancy made the whole day.

Friday- elder Llavina had to go back to Malaga to finalize his residency so I went to Puertollano with the elders there. We had a good time and worked like absolute machines the entire day. Only ended up teaching one lesson though (to a crazy lady to be honest) and sweating a ton from climbing so many mountains. Talked to plenty of gypsies though! Haha they're a funny people, although I eventually needed to take off my watch...calling a little too much attention to them. Also taught their English class and got to meet their entire branch (not too hard with 4 people) and they're a good bunch. I returned to ciudad real with elder Llavina late that night.

Saturday- transfer calls came and.... Elder Llavina and I are together another transfer! 3 transfers together, any missionary will say that's a long time together, but I'm way happy, me and elder Llavina are buds. Also, it means I will go 4 transfers here in ciudad real so I'll be here until about half way through July. It'll be 1/4 of my mission in ciudad real, cool right! I love this area, it's the best. These areas are, for some reason,the most infamous in the mission, but I love it. The general population here are very traditional and a little closed, but we'll find those people who are searching. Also had interviews with president Andersen and we talked a lot about his calling (because I asked) and he had a great quote "I've heard some return mission president's say, the hardest part about being a mission president is the first 3 years. But anything worth while wouldn't be easy" Haha being a MP would be incredibly hard. Then we had our district conference of La Mancha this weekend (it's like stake conference but scaled down)  which was awesome. First, at 5:00 p.m. we had a general priesthood meeting (in the kitchen because the relief society took the sacrament room). Then we had a general adult meeting at 6:00 p.m. Daniel and Nancy really enjoyed it. Then Puertollano elders had to stay with us that night (so I spent 4 days this week with them) and that was fun. Apparently I was sleep talking during the night in Spanish so that's funny. (Shoutout to elder Mitchell, my last comp, who was the king of sleep talking. He will be proud of me).

Sunday- We continued district conference here in ciudad real from 11:00- 1:00 and it was awesome. The conference was themed in being more unified so it was amazing stuff. Then at 1:00 there was a meeting for Recent converts or investigators and well, Daniel and Nancy were the only investigators who stayed so President Andersen basically gave them a 1 on 1 lesson about the significance of Joseph smith and his role so that was incredible. Daniel and Nancy enjoyed all of it immensely. Then we ate with one of our members and her nonmember family. Still aren't open to the gospel, but the member is so grateful that we have been trying and being patient with them. Then we met with Ana and Jose who still don't want to learn much so lots of just "being
an example to help member's families and friends" but you know what, if it strengthens the branch and the members, it's worth time. We're very few here so making sure the members remain strong is a big priority.

This week went a lot better. I mentioned a little bit about our district conference theme of being unified, and it came from D&C 38:27. "Behold, this I have given unto you as a parable, and it is even as I am. I say unto you, be one; and if ye are not one ye are not mine." Reverse that and it says "if ye are one, ye are mine". This is
such an important theme especially here in La Mancha where our branches are tiny. With this, we need the members to be supporting one another, because if their exists just even the tiniest bit of contention, these branches don't grow and the spirit leaves. It's Interesting having such a big event here even though the total amount of people in the conference was probably less Than the total amount in just my home ward. These branches are amazing and the members truly have shown me a true example of what being unified as a unit will do. This goes for our home wards, our families, or for my companion and I. So the goal is, always be Unified as members of the church and miracles do and will come.






You Might Also Like

0 comments

Popular Posts

The LDS Church

Visit lds.org for more information

Fellow Elders

Check out my cousins' blogs! Elder Jones (jamisoninparis@blotspot.com) and Elder Hogan (willyinmilan@blogspot.com)