Week 31: Ciudad Real, La Mancha District

10:42 AM


Monday- it was raining all day p-day so we didn't do much. Just email and clean and shop. That night we went and said goodbye to Manuel. He had a great lesson but we're sad that we won't personally get to see him again. He is returning after 3 months but we probably won't be here. Maybe me but it's unlikely.

Tuesday- district meeting which went way well. Then we had exchanges and I was with my good buddy (however he is an Olympus Titan) from my group and who was great friends with my cousin Jamison, elder Burton. He's an awesome missionary (I knew he would be) We had a great time and were able to teach a couple lessons that night. Unfortunately, it's vacations here in Spain so most people have gone to the beaches of the south or east of Spain so there weren't lots of people. We contacted almost all night and didn't get too much from it, but it was a good effort I think.

Wednesday- exchanges continued but still not much success. We had a feeling this week would be a little rough. Not lots of people wanted to talk to us but we really tried hard. Haven't seen anything of Semana Santa (Holy Week) so far because I here they love to do them in La Mancha at 3:00am which seems to do a good job at waking us up, but oh well. It was a great exchange and I learned a lot from my good friend Elder Burton. Then me and elder Llavina went and taught English class that night. We had some lessons set up but elder Llavina has been having some medical issues so we couldn't do too much. We just taught English class and then went to the emergency room. We couldn't get treated though because they claimed they had broken ties with the church's international insurance company they use. So HQ from salt lake called but they refused to treat him unless he paid a €100 fee and we couldn't do that. We left and went back to our house at almost 1:00am because we had been waiting forever.

Thursday- we woke up and received a call from our mission nurse that HQ was furious and on the phone all night with this hospital telling them that they actually didn't break the ties with our insurance company so we planned to return back that night. That day we had an appointment with the (as we call them) dry members (the ones that have been going to church for over a year but some things prevent them from getting baptized) Jenny, Yeranni, and Valentine in the house of Kriss. It went well and we ate very well too. That night, not too much happened and elder Llavina's medical issues were getting more aggravated so we stopped working. We went to the hospital that night and they didn't have much they could do because they didn't actually have a doctor there, only basically the equivalent of a physician's assistant and nurses... Later we found out that next Monday and Tuesday, we will be going to Malaga so elder Llavina can be treated in a better hospital and also, he has to redo his Spanish residency (every missionary does once they pass a year). I was going to have to stay with the missionaries in Puertollano for two days but, they are letting me go along with my companion to Malaga so that's way cool.

Friday- another day of very little sleep (didn't get home until later from the emergency room). It's beginning to add up but that's okay, its toughening me up a little as my dad would say. We went to correlation with Luis and that was fun. Then we had a huge Semana Santa branch activity in the campo (ranch cabin thingies on the outskirts of a city) of Ana who feeds us every Sunday and mother in law of president Carlos. Everyone was there including Daniel and Nancy. It was such a fun activity and Daniel and Nancy had a blast. These two investigators man, I don't think I've ever met investigators who are quite the miracles that they are. It's unbelievable. They talk with the members as if they are already are members. We played some wicked volleyball between the adults. We played 3 matches all best 2 out of 3 so we played like 3 hours. It was so fun. Our district president and his family were extremely competitive it was way funny. We also had some very traditional La Mancha food and learned some traditional La Mancha songs. I liked the food but Let's just say I think there's a reason you don't see typical Spanish La Mancha Restaurants popping up everywhere... It's quite unique. You know, I'll just be completely honest, I'm not the biggest fan of Spanish food. I had enough interesting sea food in Cadiz (I do really like sea food though) to last me a while and I think the Paella, garbanzos, olives, and Lentejas is wearing off a little.... I absolutely love South American food though! But at times, my favorite meal of the week is the Mac and Cheese that Elder Llavina's parents sent to him in a package. But I still like Spanish food, I just don't absolutely love it.

Saturday- we did weekly planning this morning. Then that afternoon there was some Semana Santa stuff going on so proselytizing was rather difficult. We couldn't find many people to teach... But hey, we tried. Then we went and played football as usual with the Bolivians. We had to leave a little early because of elder Llavina's issue which has improved, but he is going to be checked in Malaga on Monday so all is good.

Sunday- Great day at church. Puertollano had its branch conference which is like Ward conference but on a smaller scale. This meant about half our members were there so we were very few in church this week. We had almost as many investigators there as members. Daniel and Nancy are just amazing... I don't know how else to put it. During the second hour, we taught them the plan of salvation and they had great questions and the other investigators helped answer them which rocks. They've also already finished the 1st book of Nephi. They are progressing just amazingly and I never say this about any investigator because missionary work isn't easy and it shouldn't be, but they are are golden. Then that night some members friends invited us for dinner and games, and we tried teaching them a little, but they've made it pretty clear that they are Catholic and aren't going to change, and that's okay. But they're an awesome family and are very kind and respecting to us.

As we've ended this Semana Santa I just want to share my testimony of Christ and his life. He was the perfect example and the entirety of everything is thanks to him. Just the last week of his life, one can see the miracles he performed, the unconditional love he truly had, and his true calling and purpose which was to Carry out the ultimate plan of his father. He suffered for me. He sacrificed himself for me, and for everyone in this world, whether they accept him or not. But thanks to what happened, all of us will be resurrected, the greatest gift ever given that is available to all people, good or bad. We read in Matthew 28, Mary Magdalena and Mary, Christ's mother, went to find Christ buried in the tomb. The angle there said to them "Fear not ye: for I know that ye seek Jesus, which was crucified. He is not here: for he is risen." Christ is risen from the dead, he is the living son of the living God and he has broken the bands of death and all the pain that comes from it forever. I share my testimony with all of you of this, that Christ lives. It took me a while to figure it out in my life but I now know he truly lives and the greatness happiness I have found comes from him. I testify that it is never too late to turn to God. He will never give up on anyone and I know this because he didn't give up on me. He is always there waiting for us. And most of all, his greatest gift he gave is his son, our brother, and our savior Jesus Christ.











You Might Also Like

1 comments

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete

Popular Posts

The LDS Church

Visit lds.org for more information

Fellow Elders

Check out my cousins' blogs! Elder Jones (jamisoninparis@blotspot.com) and Elder Hogan (willyinmilan@blogspot.com)