Week 6: Sam's First Week in Cadiz

10:44 AM

My Address:
 Elder Hirst
Calle de torre 12 bajo izquierda
11003 Cadiz, Espana 

Tuesday- We woke up around 5:30 and boarded the train for Málaga. This day was hectic. We all met in a ward in Malaga and were welcomed into the mission. We only had 5 minute interviews with the president and then we were told where to go and who to go with. Unfortunately my trainer had not arrived because he was told the wrong meeting area and ended up in a different city. I was told I would be going to Cadiz (cadeeth) which was ironic because I was talking with the APs earlier and they said they were opening a new area in Cadiz and that Cadiz is the hardest place to learn Spanish in the mission. Elder Stephens my trainer eventually arrived but there was no time for greetings as we had to leave for the train. Elder Stephens went to skyline in SLC and lives only 10 minutes away from me, and he's been here for a year.  so we boarded the train and headed to Cadiz.  When we arrived in Seville for a connection, it was absolutely down pouring.  So much that it broke the elevator in the station while the hermanas were in it, so they were stuck in there for like 20 minutes. Luckily me and my trainer eventually got here So... Here am!!! . So we are starting a brand new area here In the west end of Cadiz which is very old. Very old means very cool, but it also means our piso  (apartment) is interesting. The hermanas (who have been very helpful) In east Cadiz came and guided us to it. We walked In turned on the lights, and enormous cockroaches greeted us. That was pretty funny especially since Elder Stephens hates cockroaches!!!  :) unfortunately, we only sometimes have hot water, and the water here is not super good to drink but that's okay. As far as Spanish goes, I'm pretty sure that the people of Cadiz speak a completely different language because I Don't have a single idea of what they are saying.  

Wednesday- we had some appointments set up by the hermanas with members. First was margari who was really nice and she fed us. All the members are super nice. Next was Juan, the 2nd counselor in the bishopric. We had hamburgers!!!! :D the rest of the day was trying to figure out the area book which is a brand new, as this is a new area. Basically we've been doing that almost every moment we have. My comp is working very hard and he's way diligent, however I can't really contribute much because I'm so new. I sometimes just feel like a shadow. But I have faith and patience in these things.

Thursday- I woke up feeling very sick and dizzy and my cough is worse, but I pushed through the day anyway and was okay. We had more amazing dinner appointments with members. The ward here is so cool and this week we go to the stake center In San Fernando for general conference which should be way fun. At eating appointments, we get fed so so much. They love to talk too (only to my companion though because I can't understand at all). We met with Antonia a less active who's 86, juani a member with a non member husband, then Ana another member.  Then we had correlation with the ward mission leader and we also met the bishop. We have an amazing ward in Cadiz. 


Friday- more appointments with people. We finally bought some groceries (we've been working so much that we haven't been able to) and we met with Jose a less active member. We then visited with a ward missionary Juan and his kid who's 3 years old and his wife. They were so nice and they fed us lots of food. Then we had some interesting things happen in the night, and I'll leave it at that. Things are getting better for me. I'm trying to think more positively every day, but it's hard because I get discouraged a lot. But studying the Book of Mormon really helps me a lot and I know it can always help with any problem. I also try to write questions to Heavenly Father In my notebook and there is always hope that he will answer them because he is there and he loves us. 

Saturday- we woke up and played some soccer with some members and their nonmember friends and that was way fun. Spaniards take their soccer very seriously and I was basically just there smiling the whole time and running around because they're so good but it was still way fun. We then visited some investigators from Dominican Republic and they were so so nice.  We talked about how in order to receive answers to our prayers, we first have to show god that we are willing to work for those answers. That was very nice, and she didn't have that thick Cadiz accent that I can never understand which was way nice.  We then went to General Conference in San Fernando which was great.  The missionaries without Appointments got to watch it in English upstairs in the huge stake center in San Fernando. I got to meet my zone and district leaders and they were really nice and i got to see some old friends from the CCM.  Unfortunately, the wifi stopped working so we had to end it early, but I think everyone in the stake will get to watch the rest tomorrow.  

 
Sunday- We watched conference all day. We went to San Fernando for priesthood and Saturday afternoon sessions and then to Cadiz for Sunday morning. That was such an awesome opportunity and getting the new apostles was way cool. My favorite talk was Elder Holland's Saturday afternoon session. I think every missionary in the room was crying during that one. General conference was so amazing as a missionary, I loved it.


Also, just so everyone knows, I do have my Ipad now and when i can get wifi, i can always read emails, so email me any time throughout the week, I can always read them before I have to go to bed at night and it always helps to see how everyone is back home. I also can use the SMS messaging with the apple messaging if you have an Iphone, so you can use that to message me as well.  I miss you all!! Elder Hirst

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Popular Posts

The LDS Church

Visit lds.org for more information

Fellow Elders

Check out my cousins' blogs! Elder Jones (jamisoninparis@blotspot.com) and Elder Hogan (willyinmilan@blogspot.com)